"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding."
I have been really thinking about the last part of that short verse of scripture. I have been thinking about how amazingly difficult it is to "lean not", and how we got into the predicament of having this constant sway toward our "own understanding". It's pretty much the beginning of all sin.
The way the world is now, we think our own understanding is pretty much A+, faultless and beneficial. To think of our own understanding as something rather crippling- I'm thinking I'd be considered, I don't know, lazy, blind, naive, silly, foolish...
However, to look at life and everything that we encounter in it, and to say, "Heck, I've got no clue, Lord. You tell me what to do," Isn't that what we are supposed to do? Why does it seem lazy or naive to trust God completely- and I mean really, totally, completely?
This is God, right? The one who knows how many times our hearts will beat today, our lung function, the blinking of our eyes. Who better to be in control? It seems obvious. But sin, aaaack!
I think our delusion comes from holding on to this life and this reality too tightly. We think God's ways are strange and scary because sometimes they just don't fit with our current realilty. But when you think of the fact that God is prepping us for eternity- well, some of His stuff may seem a bit more sensible? I don't know. Faith and trust are the keys, and they are not so easy.
Thank the Lord for the Holy Spirit, or nothing would get done around here!
Thursday, April 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment